LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) - As the temperatures warm up around Arkansas, soon many of you will be spending your days around the pool or at one of Arkansas's beautiful lakes. It's critical that you make the choice to wear a life jacket.
Of the drowning victims in The Natural State, 90 percent were not wearing life jackets. Chris Smith and Amy Shultz from the Army Corps of Engineers joined us with tips on picking the right life jacket.
Here are the five things to keep in mind when fitting a life jacket:
1. Check the label: it will tell you the size and how it can be used.
2. Check for Damage: check that there are no broken parts and no mold or rips in the fabric.
3. Fasten Up: Fasten all buckles zippers and straps.
4. Check for Proper Fit: make sure it does not slip above the chin or ears. It should feel snug, yet comfortable.
5. Wear it: A life jacket only works if it's worn!